Saturday, April 26, 2014

Clouds, Careers, and Consolidated Gold Mines!

 We finished last week up with some cloud flip book action. It was very thrown together on my part, but I have had an exhausting week. I'm honestly not sure why but FATIGUE has been a constant friend of mine as of late. I'm really hoping to gander up some energy over the rest of this weekend!

 We also had Career Day on Thursday. Since this is my first year at this school, I had to remind myself that every school does things differently. I'm use to asking a couple of parents to come in and speak to the class for about 15 minutes each, or having the kiddos dress up,  but instead we had a 2 and a half hour program with 15 minute rotations. It worked because we weren't sitting in any one place for that long, but it sure made for a short day in the classroom! and my kiddos weren't too happy about missing their specials but we all got over it and enjoyed listening to a news-reporter, surgeon's assistant, retired army something, a couple of banking career people and the ATF. He was by far our favorite and we could have listened to him probably the whole time. He leg and hand cuffed one of my most outgoing and talkative kiddos! He loved the attention!

,
 I was planning a writing assignment on what they wanted to be when they grew up but lack of time sure quickly cut that one out. We did "chit-chat" for about 5 minutes at the end of the day and shared what they thought they wanted to be when they grew up...I'm expecting really big answers because I have 5th grade....and surprisingly more than half of my kiddos said working at Chick-fil-a. Now, I love Chick-fil-a, but I was kinda hoping to hear them dream bigger! I did have a couple of doctors, a movie maker, and one maybe teacher wannabe. 


Today, some of our church Vacation Bible School workers went to the consolidated gold mine in Dahlonega to give us some ideas for our "Treasure Mine" theme this year. It was so....neat! My favorite part by far was the actual tour of the consolidated mine! I sang "I'm proud to be a coal miner's daughter quite a few times" and we saw bats, wore hard hats, and then panned for gold and gemstones afterwards!


Michael and I are on the left and the guy on the right is Doc.He was our tour guide and did a great job! Unfortunately, I didn't get a lot of his humor. For those who know me well, you will find this hilarious...he said "There always seems to be one in each group that holds up an invisible sign saying...GULLIBLE!" 


 My bucket sharing partner, Dan, is racking them up to the left while I spend  my time making pics!
 I ended up buying some schtuff from the gift shop...I'm a sucker for anything that I can display or use more than once in my classroom. I bought a petrified wood fossil sample, some "Dino poop" aka petrified animal dung or a trace fossil, and some fools gold. I bought a small book on Minerals in the Bible and yes, I spent $15 dollars on a pink hard hat. To justify that purchase, I WILL wear it everyday of VBS, I can use it as an incentive in my class when teaching rocks and minerals, and and and ONE day my own kiddos can wear it to play in!
Justified purchases.
It was a really cool place and would definitely make an awesome field trip. They said they get a lot of 3rd and 8th graders.

The best part about the trip to Dahlonega....the outlet malls...and yes, this happened too... Vera had a sale and I love this print, so I bought a new bag!  It's the match to my Ipad case so now I kinda have a set. I also bought a soap dispenser from Kirklands and really wanted to stay longer and shop at The Loft's outlet store because they had some adorable clothes and all 40% off! but...I didn't....everyone was ready to go and tired...and I didn't need to drop anymore cash today.

Notice the pens in front of my bag....strangest thing...they were inside my bag...like someone had bought it and taken it back. Only, it doesn't look used at all! and they were the only thing inside of it! Strange.


I'm pooped so happy weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment